Sunday, September 4, 2011

Saturday's Festivities

I woke up at 1 yesterday morning (I'm telling you this jet lag is crazy!) and I cleaned my room and did laundry. My roommates were still sleeping, so I decided to go out on an adventure of my own. I disregarded the emphasis Italians put on fashion and wore my sneakers. Now I never want to go back to wearing sandals. 

My first stop was the Vittoriano, the monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, the Italian king who unified Italy in 1861. The monument was not actually completed until 1935. But before I got there I took a picture on the way as I crossed the Tiber.
There was a cathedral attached to the monument that was so beautiful. A wedding was going on when I walked in.
Next stop was the Roman Forum.
And then the Colosseum.
I got back home and was so tired! My roommate knows a girl from her school that is in the same program we are and she invited us over for dinner. They were making crepes and I was not about to turn that down!
And then we walked around Trastevere at night. So pretty!
So that's it for now! Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful day you had. I love the pictures. Looks like you're making lots of new friends. who is with you in the last picture? Is that your italian roommate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having fun reading your blogs! In the meantime, I happen to be reading a book about Rome around 60 BC, and the feats of Cicero!

    Gramps

    ReplyDelete