Monday, September 19, 2011

Pompeii, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast

This weekend was so much fun and so eventful! It was nice to get out of Rome for a couple days and get to see a new part of Italy.

The bus left for Pompeii at 7:15 on Friday morning. We arrived there around 11 and had a 2 hour guided tour of Pompeii. We saw the baths, remains of some of the bodies, the main road, and much more.
Mt. Vesuvius
Main forum of Pompeii
After Pompeii, we had a nice lunch at a restaurant really close by. Then we got back on the bus and headed to Sorrento. We checked into our hotel around 4. It was such a nice hotel and my bathroom had a jacuzzi in it! Talk about luxury! I also had an amazing view of the Bay of Naples from my balcony. I took a little nap and then we all had a 3 course meal at the hotel restaurant. I was very adventurous both nights and definitely strayed away from my comfort zone of pizza and pasta. After dinner, we headed into town for some late night gelato.
View from my room
The next morning we had to wake up early again to get on a ferry to go to Capri, an island in the Bay of Naples. We spent around 6 hours there walking around, eating lunch, going to little bakeries, and just looking out onto the Mediterranean. The views were amazing and the water was so green! There were also some lovely gardens that we walked through with the brightest flowers.
After Capri, I came back and rested a little before dinner. We had another three course meal with a different menu, which was nice. I got the risotto and the mackerel. So good!

We had to get up early again the next morning to get on a bus for a tour of the Amalfi Coast. It was a 52 km ride on a very curvy and scary road. Our guide told us that there was a James Bond seen filmed there! I was getting a little car sick to say the least, but the views were gorgeous! There was a bit of a detour because there was a fire near one of the villages we were going to stop in. But we still were able to stop in the town of Amalfi and another other little town for lunch. We toured the cathedral in Amalfi as well as the Cloisters of Paradise. They were both so pretty. After that, we drove back home. 
And that about sums up this weekend's trip! It was really fun, but I'm glad to be back home!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness! You are really getting around in Italy and I am much envied by what you are doing. This time you will never forget and it is such a fortunate break for you, and we are pleased.

    I am sure you know that the calendar we are using today was developed by Julius Caesar over two thousand years ago!

    Keep having fun and learning,

    Love,

    Gramps

    ReplyDelete