Sunday, November 6, 2011

Paris for the Weekend!

This past weekend I went to Paris with my friends from Richmond. I left Thursday evening and arrived in Paris later on that night. We stayed at a youth hostel in the Latin Quarter, just minutes away from Notre Dame.

We woke up early on Friday morning and went on a free tour of the heart of the city. We saw the opera house, the Arc de Triumph, the Eiffel Tower and many of the wealthiest streets in Rome. Our tour guide was able to point out many significant places in Paris, such as where the guillotine stood during the French Revolution and the last place Princess Diana was before her death. I really enjoyed the tour and I'm glad we knew about it! After that, we walked over to the Eiffel Tower to take pictures and to just see it up close. It is really incredible to just look at. The line was really long to go to the top, so we skipped that. Then we walked to a little bakery for lunch. I got quiche. Delicious! Then we headed over to Notre Dame, walked through the church, and climbed to the top. The view was amazing and we were there just at sunset. Absolutely gorgeous!


One of my friend's Dad offered to pay for our dinner on his credit card and he recommended a really nice restaurant with a prix fixe. I ordered artichoke ravioli, steak tartar and frites, and profiteroles. One of my friends got escargot and I tried it! I'm not sure what I think about eating snails, but they weren't terrible. We walked around after dinner and then went to bed extremely exhausted.

We woke up the next day around the same time with a mission to go to the Louvre. That museum is the biggest thing I have ever seen. We spent nearly three and a half hours in there and I don't think we saw nearly half of what they had inside. Museums are tiring! I did get to see the Mona Lisa though. After that, we headed over to Montmartre to see Sacre Coeur. Before the church, we ate lunch. I got a croque madame, which was delicious! We walked up to the church and through the little shops. Very cute. I got a crepe there, too! Sooo good! Then we came back to around where our hostel was and saw the Pantheon. We rested for a bit after and went to get French onion soup and macarons. Those little cookies are so good!


I was only in Paris for two full days, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment