On Saturday morning, I caught a really early train to Florence with my roommate, Marielle. We both had been wanting to go for a while. The night before we had decided it would be a good idea to leave the house at 5:50 am, to make our 6:43 train. We didn't end up leaving the house until 6 and then the buses were NOT coming! We didn't think that we would make the train. We got to the train station with 5 minutes until our train was leaving and we sprinted to the FARTHEST track possible. A little exercise in the morning never hurt anyone, right?
When we got to Florence, our first stop was the outdoor market, which has everything from leather goods to scarves. We shopped around for souvenirs and Christmas presents for friends and family. Marielle even got a leather jacket! It was so funny trying to get the best price from the over eager vendors. I was not born to be a haggler, let's just say that much.
After spending more money than I intended, we walked over to the duomo. I had been in eighth grade the last time I was there and it was even more beautiful than I remembered. We walked around the inside and then climbed to the top of the duomo. We had a great view of Florence and got some exercise when climbing the 493 steps to the top. We took some pictures and then made our way back down.
 |
| View from the Duomo |
After the duomo, we wandered around the streets, walked into the church of Dante, then to the Piazza della Signoria. In this piazza we saw a copy of Michelangelo’s David and other notable statues. Then we headed over to the Santa Croce, which is the burial place of Michelangelo and Galileo. It was also a really impressive building.
 |
| Copy of David |
 |
| Santa Croce |
Then we went to a bakery where I got the best pastry EVER. After this, we had to head back to the train back to Rome. It was such a fun day, and it was surprising how easy it was to do!
No comments:
Post a Comment