Monday, October 10, 2011

Etruscan Tombs

This past Friday, I went with my Ancient Rome class to see the Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia and Cerveteri, which are both about an hour outside of Rome. I packed my lunch for the long day ahead of me and headed to our program's building. We have been learning about the Etruscan society based on the items found in our tombs. The previous day, we had visited to Villa Giulia, where all of the things found in the tombs are showcased. These things include urns, amphoras, drinking vessels, previous metals, and mirrors. All these things were supposed to go with them into the afterlife.


On Friday, we visited the actual tombs that these items came from. They were carved into the ground and many of them were massive.
Outside of a tomb in Cerveteri
I was really impressed by the fact that the tombs in Cerveteri were all carved into bedrock. Building the tombs must have been extremely time consuming and exhausting.
Inside a tomb in Tarquinia
It was really cool being able to go in the tombs, even though there were times I was worried they would collapse on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment